If you have a curious cat or a cheeky puppy at home, bear in mind that some bouquets may contain poisonous flowers to pets and should be placed in spots they cannot reach.
Below are a few common flowers we all love to display in the home that are toxic to cats and/or dogs. It’s not about never enjoying these particular flowers again, but being wise to their potential dangers and exercising common sense when displaying them.
We have listed this first due to their common use in bouquets year-round, as well as the fact they are extremely toxic to cats. According to the RSPCA, even ingesting the smallest part of any of the lily plant may cause intoxication and death, despite the best treatments by vets.
If you own an indoor cat, make sure to place lilies high up, in areas that they do not jump, or are not allowed to go. Keeping a spray bottle of water at hand to spritz the cat if they go near them may be a good idea.
Toxic lilies include Asian, Day, Easter (November), Gloriosa, Peace, Oriental, Stargazer, Belladonna and Tiger.
An extremely popular plant for gifts during the cooler months of autumn and winter. Any part of the plant (especially the tubers and roots) is mild to moderately toxic to both cats and dogs if ingested.
The Calla lily expels a mild to moderate toxicity unlike the other lily types listed above, and can impact on both cats and dogs.
Fun loving daffodils are an extremely popular cut flower come spring, however can be mild to moderate in toxicity for both cats and dogs if any part of the bulb, flower or leaf is ingested.
Now not all cats and dogs are avid flower nibblers and vase sniffers. However, regardless of whether your bouquet contains toxic or non-toxic blooms, it’s always a good idea to try and train your pets into leaving your vases and pot plants alone, just to be on the safe side.
If you would like to learn more about potentially toxic flowers and plants for pets, an extensive list can be found by clicking here.